Welsh Beef Soup
- 2 quarts of homemade pressure cooker stock (sorry this will not be the same without the homemade broth)
- 3 cups cabbage cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-3 leeks, trimmed and cleaned
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 – 1/3 inch
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice (you can use a potato peeler)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or fat of choice ( I like lard)
- 3 cups reserved beef from pressure cooker stock
- sea salt for taste
- ground pepper for taste
***See pressure cooker beef stock recipe and make that first.***
1.) Prep you veggies. Cut up cabbage into 1-inch pieces, cut the leeks in half lengthwise then slice them, cut up carrots and turnips.
2.) Heat the ghee in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
3.) Add the leeks, turnips, and carrots, and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until everything starts to soften.
4.) Pour 2 quarts of the pressure cooker beef stock into the pot.
5.) Bring the mixture up to a simmer, and partially cover the pot with the lid. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook on the stove for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
6.) Add the cabbage, and partially cover the pot again. Cook for another 15-20 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
7.) While the pot is on the stove, grab the cooked meat you saved making the pressure cooker beef stock. Shred and dice the beef into chunks and stir meat into pot. Bring the mixture back to a simmer and cook for 5 more minutes.
8.) Season with salt and pepper for taste.
9.) Serve immediately.